A Young Veteran

Special Section for Ages 15 through 35. Late Teens through young adults, clothes, toe leakage, study, work, shoes

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, Birdwatcher, blush

A Young Veteran

Postby lleggs1371 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, but I am so excited; like a little kid in a candy store. Anyway, my name is Dawn and I was diagnosed with lymphedema when I was eight years old. I am now 36 and holding on strong. All my life, I beat the odds, so to speak and kept going. When doctors told me I couldn't do, I did; when they told me I shouldn't do, I did; and so on. As I have gotten older, I should have listened, a little bit, I guess. I allowed nothing to hold me back. When they told me that I could not have children because my legs would swell so large and eventually explode, I had a beautiful daughter. I did go through some serious changes, but by the Grace of God and His Grace only, she and I are both here and doing fine.

After reading several stories on this site, I realize how blessed I am and how blessed I was in the past. Even though the doctors just shook there heads and said they did not know what to do when I was first diagnosed, I kept going. I made it through all of the infections, the swelling, the tightness, the high blood pressure, the medication for the high BP affecting my kidneys and so on; I made it and I am so happy that condition is not as bad as it could be.

Since I can no longer work, I am able to make use of my time without the excess stress. I am so excited about my upcoming therapy and my pumps. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, my LE first began in the lower limb of my left when I was bitten by an unknown insect; that bit led to an infection. For about two years, my left leg would swell and the right leg remained normal. After some time had elapsed, the lower limb in my right leg began to swell. I have worn TED hose and for about 18 or so years, but since I have been off for the past two years, I have not worn them as much, or as often. I maintained my weight pretty good, but I have never ever been thin in my life. I was just a little more active and an avid walker.

During my pregnancy, my left hand and arm began to swell and never went down after the birth of my daughter in 1995. So, LE is in the lower limbs of both of my legs and my left hand and arms. Fortunately, my primary care physician has me on medication to keep my blood pressure in tact and the medication also gives me a little relief so that body won't be so tight. Again, I am so looking forward to using the pumps and communicating with other like-minded individuals. I wish you all well and if there is anything I can share with you, please don't hesitate to drop me an email. :D

Dawn S Wilson
lleggs1371

Postby patoco » Wed May 16, 2007 12:26 am

Hi Dawn again :)

Left you a note on your other post too.

"When doctors told me I couldn't do, I did; when they told me I shouldn't do, I did; and so on. As I have gotten older, I should have listened, a little bit, I guess. I allowed nothing to hold me back."

That sounds a lot like me. I was born with LE and have still done some amazing things. I think that it's the fighting spirit and refusal to quit that keeps us going. :!: :!: :!:

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby lleggs1371 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:53 am

I am just getting stronger and stronger and more stubborn. :lol:
lleggs1371

Postby blush » Thu May 31, 2007 8:28 am

liked reading this! im stubborn too.
i just travelled the world, taugh snow sking for a season and did many things i was steered away from..

hooray!! it was the best time of my life and i educated a lot of people along the way!!

just a question.
did the other leg get le because it wasnt looked after or just by chance as i only have it in one leg and dont wanna get freaked out..?
blush

Return to Young People with Lymphedema